The Sleep Experiment - Jeremy Bates

I sat here for a solid minute thinking of what to write, of what to say about this book. It's entertaining, unique, well written.  The lack of a single star is only for a few cheesy, mild moments that made me roll my eyes and perhaps breath in a little sharper. This book has an interesting plot, and if you haven't read The Russian Sleep Experiment, I suggest you do, as this particular story stems from it.

What happens when we simply don't sleep? That's what Doctor Roy Wallis is set to find out with his experiment. Two people stuck in a room pumped full of gas to keep them awake. As days bleed into nights and nights bleed into days we see the effects that a lack of sleep has on the human body and mind. I won't say the book is "action packed". There are a few slow moments that I wanted to skim, rather than read, but I chugged through it, searching for important information hidden within the fluff. The characters are not...charming. But you can understand them, you can follow their motives. Some motives might be...less sane than others. But they're clearly written out for us to judge. 


The story captures you and keeps hold as you move on through it, and some of the twists and turns will have you scratching your head. It did what I feel a book is supposed to do. It kept me pulled in until the end, and it made me WANT to finish it. I'm happy to have read it, it will have a home on my shelf. Jeremy Bates does a fantastic job of telling a chilling and thrilling story. I look forward to reading his other works.

The Sleep Experiment earns four out of five stars from me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog