Don't Scream: 60 Tales to Terrify - Blair Daniels

I went into this book expecting some sort of cheesy ghost stories, but I left utterly satisfied and spooked. Yes, admittedly, some stories are cheesy, and made me laugh more than shudder. But a majority of them are very good, some heart breaking, some scary, some disturbing. It's a good mix of different plots, each unique and entertaining. Some I could read in the dark without a problem, while others I had to pop on a light and shut my door.

The writing is solid, good use of imagery, good characters, and as I said, fine and unique plots. The stories are never too long that you grow bored, waiting for the next one, in fact some I felt were too short, and I was left going "that was IT?", which is always a fun feeling to have when you're reading. Though you don't get to know the characters well in the few pages you have with them, they are well written, and can evoke emotion from you (for example, one parent in a story I will not name, made me so angry I wanted to shout at the book). It's a fun, refreshing read in between your big novels, and I feel as though this author is one to keep my eye on. Their imagination reaches far and wide, and I was never bored when reading along. Go in expecting a good spook, but don't be upset when you come across the one or two that make you roll your eyes and stifle a laugh, just because they're not scary, doesn't mean they're not well done. I gave this book five stars because it kept me entertained all throughout, and it never lacked in the quality of its writing.


Don't Scream has earned five out of five stars from me. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog